Re: Mushroom hike

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Robert Hoffmann wrote:

> Another event:
>
> Cove Mallard is sponsoring a mushroom hike with Larry Evans, from Missoula.
> It is
> this Thursday, the 14th. The hike will take place in the forests between
> the Gospel Hump and the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness Areas.
> If you would like some more info on it contact Ashley Martens at
> martens@pcei.com.

Larry Evans comes highly recommended as a foray leader -- He was on the
cover of last spring's issue of Mushroom the Journal of Wild Mushrooming,
and is one of our contributing editors.

Last summer issue he had this to say about the concept of "edibility:"

"I have enjoyed meals consisting of 100-year-old eggs, boiled moss,
snakes, catburger and blood sausage, but never at the same time.

"As you might imagine, all of these were enjoyed with the best sauce:
hunger.

"Other delightful meals involved ingredients such as dog meat (rather like
pork), locusts (deep fried and dipped in molasses, very tasty), a slew of
tropical fruits (once in Thailand I ate pineapple until my tongue bled),
earthworms (properly cleaned, they are bland and only slightly bitter),
and the editor says I have to stop now. But you get my point, if you have
read this far."

The good news is that Larry knows his mushrooms and 2) does not force
weird foods on people he's just met.

Don H. Coombs, editor
Mushroom, the Journal of Wild Mushrooming

Back to TOC