Council candidate questions

In order to help provide an opportunity for the candidates for Moscow City
Council to explain their views and perspectives on growth and development
issues, we (an ad hoc committee of Kenton Bird, Ken Medlin and myself, with
the input of many others recruited through Vision 2020) urge all candidates
to participate in this questionaire process.

All candidates:
Please provide our committee with a biography (no more than 250 words) and
the answers to the questions below.  Please send your answers by email, by
Monday, October 18, to this address: <bill_london@hotmail.com>.  We will
save all responses and display them at a website donated for that purpose by
First Step Research.  We will also post all responses on the Vision 2020
list.  Please include the words "candidate questionaire" on the subject
line, then in the message include your name, the bio, and then your
Thank you.

Questions:
1. If Whitman County officials request that Moscow extend utilities and
services across the state line to the eastern end of the Moscow-Pullman
Corridor, under what conditions--or would you ever--support Moscow providing
water, sewage, police, and fire protection to residences and businesses in
the Corridor?

2. What three specific actions would you support to maintain or increase the
economic vitality of downtown Moscow?

3. Moscow is a member and funder of the regional Economic Development
Council (EDC).  What specific goals should the EDC pursue in the next five
years?

4. Earlier this year the Moscow City Council narrowly approved the
annexation of 51 acres north of Morton Street for residential and commercial
development.  If a similar proposal were to come before the council during
your term, what information would you require and what conditions would you
place on the development before your vote?

5. What aspects of Moscow's quality of life do you most enjoy?  How would
you enhance and protect those qualities?

6. Do you think that the depletion of our aquifer is a problem that needs to
be addressed now--or can we wait 5 or 10 years to confront it?  Moscow
violates the Palouse Basin Aquifer Committee management plan by excessive
water usage.  Is it important that Moscow be brought into compliance with
those water use goals?