Re: Recycled Glass Update / Freight Costs

There was something in the MP Daily News  addressing the gas price
issues.  It was in the opinion section, but written by the guy who does
Biz Bits on Mondays.  I think it was Wed. paper.  Basically it said the
gas prices are so high here because we are willing to pay for them and
not complain to the people that can change it.  I'll try and find the
article again so I know where to send you all..

Ken Medlin wrote:

> >freight costs are based
> >on weight and distance hauled.
>    That's what we are led to believe,but there must be an exception
> w/regard to certain "hi-demand" products such as fuels, because we see
> such a diversity of prices thruout the NW and the country, for that
> matter, when it comes to gasoline and oil (not natural gas, however). In
> Missoula and Kalispel in late Aug., gasoline was $l.27 - l.32. Last
> weekend in Tri-Cities (Kennewick et al.) it was $l.26 - l.3l.  For us,
> now incl. Lewiston (but not Clrakston, where it's 4-6 cents less), it's
> l5 - l9 cents higher. That means that freight costs to NW Montana are the
> same as they are to tri-cities; but to Lewiston and Moscow-Pullman, it's
> around 15% more??  Just looking at a simple map has to raise some hard
> questions about such a big disparity for 150 miles -- but NO disparity
> for NW Montana??  Of course, the state taxes vary 2-3% betw. states,
> which will modify these figures a bit. Do you have any information on
> these differing freight rates, if in fact they are the cause of our
> eternally higher gasoline prices? Thanks!

> William K. Medlin
> Dev-plan associates
> 930 Kenneth Street
> Moscow ID 83843