new announcement system for city projects

It seems to me that the system now in place in Moscow for announcing
building projects or rezoning efforts is insufficient.

Now, all projects--from your neighbor's plan to add a garage to the building
of 200 new homes on the 51 acres on north side of Moscow--are treated the
same.  All those projects are announced to the public (as I understand it)
with one of those unintelligible legal notices at the back of the Daily News
and the posting of flyers at homes within 300 feet of the project.  The idea
is that in that way the public is alerted and can respond to the Planning
and Zoning Commission, etc, with concerns.

What we need is a way to announce major projects that have a significant
city-wide impact in a different way--a way that really lets the public know
that something important is happening.  And let's us know early in the
process.

I spoke with Dale Pernula at City Hall (883-7008).  He said that what his
department needs is a consistent policy that is not arbitrarily applied.  If
there was, first a new system that established a reasonable threshold for a
wider announcement, and second established what that wider announcement
would be, he would find that acceptable.

I am hoping that we can come up with some ideas for such a new system.  then
perhaps we could change the city policy and be better prepared for proposals
with significant impact on this city.  So there are the two basic questions
that Dale asks:

First, what is the new threshold--what is the minimum level of size or
whatever that would classify a project as significant?

Second, what additional notice would be required?

I am hoping that there will be suggestions and ideas offered to the 2020
list about this--not to my address only.  I do have a few preliminary ideas
to get the ball rolling....

First, a project is significant if it involves: 1. any commercial
construction, 2. any citywide ordinance (like the sign ordinance), 3. the
building of more than two dwellings (one duplex, two houses, or one
apartment building).

Second, the additional announcement would be to forward a summary of the
proposal (like the legal notice) to an email list of interested
persons--which could include media, 2020, others.

BL