Re: new announcement system for city projects

Good idea, Bill, and I think it should be expanded to include other city and
county departments.  For example, the City Council had a "decency" ordinance
proposed last winter that would be the kind of thing we could hear about on
Vision 2020.

With regard to P&Z actions, I would suggest adding applications for special use
permits to the list.  A special use permit is needed when a property owner or
occupier wants to conduct an activity that is not permitted by right within the
existing zoning classification.  Examples:  the fairgrounds operates by special
use permit and the helicopter landing site between Tidyman's and the Ward 2 LDS
Church (for medical evacuation) was approved as a special use permit.

I don't have a suggestion for what criteria to apply for notification
regarding special use permits.  The uses vary widely, and an activity that
would have little impact at one location could affect a large part of the
community if allowed at a different location.  Perhaps receiving notice of all
special use permit applications for 90 days would allow list subscribers to
then determine some discriminatory criteria for notice of applications made
after that time.

Mike Curley

Back to TOC