Fwd: Re: Does Transit Work?

Subject:     Re: Does Transit Work?
Sent:        7/1/19 10:53 AM
From:        John Williams, john@montana.com
To:          smartgro@micron.net
             smartgro@onenw.org

=====  A message from the 'smartgro' discussion list  =====

>Thanks for sharing this important work.  Boiseans have been told too many
>times that mass transit doesn't work and that people won't get out of their
>cars, when the real problem has long been quality of experience, efficiency,
>and access to the choice.

Missoula's got an interesting program that they run every summer.
It's called "Kids Ride Free" and means that anyone under 18 (or 18
and under??) can ride the bus for nothing all summer long. The first
summer they ran this, they had something like 10,000 rides by kids in
our relatively small city. Kids I knew were calling their friends to
figure out how to meet at the swimming pool using various routes and,
naturally, they'd take their bikes along.

Mountain Line (transit agency) has since started a "Kids Ride Cheap"
program, which gives kids a pretty low rate the rest of the year (I
believe it's 25 cents). And they frequently run tv ads on the Ride
Free program.

The nice thing about getting the kids involved is that they're often
the ones being squired around to soccer and movies and so on by
parents (see the recent STPP High Mileage Moms report). It's getting
to where the work trip is a small fraction of traffic (something like
15% and falling, in some places) and focusing on trips like these can
pay off in a serious way.

John Williams, editor
Bicycle Forum
Tracy-Williams Consulting