Friends of the Library

Tim ...

Whew!   What a story.   You must really be incensed, and I
don't blame you.

An almost unbelievable story, especially for Moscow.

In my case, the problem was a local bank, federal rules, and
my bagpipe band.

The band is paid for a few gigs we do each year.  We keep
the money in a bank account until we need to buy supplies
such as reeds and additions to our non-uniform uniform..

Eventually, after many years, the bank would not continue
our account without a social security number or a tax id
number.  The latter we did not have, so another member
of the band let us use his social security number.

Than meant that the interest earned on our deposits were
reported to the IRS, by the bank, as his income.

It wasn't much, and the extra taxes he paid as the result
was very small,  but it was very unfair.

We resolved it, finally, by filing for a tax id number as a
not for profit organization.

That worked beautifully.  The number was awarded with no
interchange with the IRS, just the original submission of
their form.

Has Friends of the Library considered doing what we did?

With best regards,

Sam Scripter
MoscowSam@moscow.com