Litter

March 30, 1999

This letter is in response to the March 26th letter to the editor titled, “Stop Leaving Trash on Idaho Roads.”  As those responsible for picking up trash left by others, we can truly appreciate the author’s concern about litter control and “Keeping Idaho Beautiful.”  Latah Sanitation, Inc./Moscow Recycling (LSI/MR) has a proactive litter control policy, as outlined below:

1.     As part of our job descriptions, all drivers are required to make litter control a top priority.
2.    All garbage truck drivers are required to close hoppers during long distances between stops.  During short distances between stops, the hopper is left open to decrease wear on the truck’s hydraulic system.  All drivers are required to close hoppers during the commute to and from the Solid Waste Processing Center.
3.    All pick-up truck drivers (rural routes) are required to net loads during long distances between stops.  During short distances, drivers are required to place heavy bags on top of loads to act as “paper weights”.  All pick-up truck drivers are required to net loads during the commute to and from the Solid Waste Processing Center.  It should be noted that we are currently phasing out these pick-up trucks and replacing them with traditional garbage trucks.
4.    If a driver encounters trash that has been spilled prior to arrival, he/she will pick-up as much garbage as possible by hand.  The driver will also report the location to our office, which is then documented.
5.    Due to potential safety issues, we are not allowed to pick-up loose garbage off the road (ravines, ditches, steep banks, etc.).  Due to potential health hazards, we also cannot pick-up items that may cause injury (dirty needles and other biomedical waste, diapers, feces, broken glass, sharp rusty items, etc.).
6.    Litter control is a topic discussed regularly during our monthly crew meetings.  Within this forum, we provide feedback on problem areas and suggest ways to decrease litter.
7.    Please call LSI/MR immediately (882-5724) if you should notice litter blowing from any garbage truck.  All drivers will appreciate this input, and will immediately correct the problem.

Please know that we will continue to keep litter control a top priority, not only because it is part of our job-descriptions, but because we too reside and raise our children in this community.  Like Ms. Lewis, we share the vision of a litter-free Latah County, but we also need help from Latah County Residents.  We will continue doing our part, and we ask that you help by using tightly secured garbage bags.  As one driver suggests, garbage placed loose in garbage cans and dumpsters is “litter waiting to happen”.  This is especially true on windy days.  As soon as we lift the lid off the can or dumpster, loose garbage flies away.  No amount of good intentions can help at this point.  We believe strongly that a litter-free Latah County can be accomplished with a collective effort from both LSI/MR and residents of Latah County.

Sincerely,

Route Drivers
Latah Sanitation, Inc./Moscow Recycling

(Signed by LSI/MR drivers)