Re: Moscow Schools

Thanks, Robert, for the emphasis on teacher pay.  It really is critical
because so many Idaho teachers are close to my age and we have and are
retiring.  Idaho already hires approximately 40% of its teachers from out
of state and loses many good ones to better paying positions.  You speak of
your partner who puts in long hours and, believe me, she will be doing that
as long as she continues to teach.  The rewards are many, but most of them
aren't monetary.  Even so, I can't imagine another profession as
fulfilling.  Interestingly, when I retired I found I save about $2,000 each
year because I no longer have to buy material for my classroom and items
for my students.  Of course these were expenditures I chose to make; nobody
forced me to do so.  But when one sees a need..........

Sue Hovey

----------
> From: Robert Moore <oshkoshc1@moscow.com>
> To: Erikus4@aol.com; vision2020@moscow.com
> Subject: Re: Moscow Schools
> Date: Saturday, March 27, 1999 9:40 AM
>
> 	You have a valid point but if we dont start paying teachers what they
> deserve then we might as well forget it.  My girlfriend who has a four
year
> degree and is teaching is making about a hundred dollars more than me
right
> now.  In may I will get another raise at the place that I work which will
> bring me up tho about 8.50 an hour guess what I'll be making more than
her.
>  No I dont have a degree and I only work 40-45 hours a week.  She on the
> other hand puts in more than 50 hours a week and uses what little money
she
> has to help buy things (snacks, prizes, etc....) for her kids because the
> school dosen't support their teachers but asks them to do this anyway
(for
> the kids).
> 	Also another little known fact their are a lot of teachers that qulify
> (because of their incoms) for food stamps and goverment housing( Rember
> they have four year degrees) and we expect them to help guide children
for
> 9 months of the year.
> 	How about lobbying for raises for teachers to get paid what they
deserve!
> Instead of lobbying for dams to be breached, bills that dont have a
> snowballs chance in h__l of passing, and let our teachers do what they
love
> to do and teach.  If they can do that I think that the idots that carry
> wepons to school will either wise up or obtaine enough common sense to be
> able to know wrong from right.  Oh by the way i've carryed a knife ever
> sence I was in third grade and have yet to pull it out on one person.  Of
> course that was taught at home but that is a whole different can of
worms.
> Robert Moore
>

> At 01:24 PM 3/27/99 EST, Erikus4@aol.com wrote:
> >>The community's mission:
> >>To invest in the future of our students
> >
> >Why the future of the STUDENT?
> >
> >Or, more appropriately, any investment in THEIR future is also an
investment
> >in MY future, or, collectively, OUR future.  If the school system works
then
> >when I'm 80 my physician may have been a student here today in 1999.
When
> I'm
> >old and my cat has climbed a tree or my driveway is full of snow,
possibly it
> >will be a student, or a person who learned benevolence at school
> >(supplementing that taught at home!) who helps me out.  If the school
system
> >at least educates people so they can get SOME job, then we collectively
> >benefit by reduced crime.  (In theory . . . )
> >
> >Why focus on THE student?  The students are THE future?  Focusing on OUR
> >future seems better to me.
> >
> >But I can be picky.  (And don't enough people already have a problem
> providing
> >an education through taxation to "other people's kids"?)
> >
> >Erik O'Daniel

Back to TOC