Challenge to 2020, Skate-Park Donation Idea

First, to Mr. Gill and others concerned about identity, I am Bob Marr or proudly Mr. Karen E. Marr! I assure you the lack of name on earlier posts was an oversight that I did not catch until days after my second post. My computer is about 450 miles away near Twin Falls so I do not get to respond in a very timely manner. Hopefully those that know me know I: stand by anything I say or write, respect other opinions, and do not hide from anything. Besides, how anonymous can I be with a name like Marr!

On my way back to Moscow, while stuck in road construction, an idea came to me that can hopefully satisfy both sides of the skate-park issue.

I hereby challenge the subscribers of this list to each pledge a substantial (more than pocket change) donation to the park. I think this list can fairly easily reach $2000.00 in total pledges and would like to shoot for at least this amount. Once all pledges are in (say 2-3 weeks?), we ASK the skaters for an appropriate amount of community service, i.e. 1 clock hour for every $100.00. We can leave the service to them or make suggestions. I am not even interested in oversight, I know and trust several of the kids involved in this project and know that if they agree to work 20hrs for $2,000.00 for the park, they will.

Respond to this list with your pledge and what you feel is an appropriate ratio of time/dollars and any suggestions for community service you might have. I will make the first pledge as an example:

Bob Marr $100.00      1 hr/ $100.00     Suggestion, Learn basic first-aid

In 2-3 weeks, depending on interest, I will print the list and deliver it to the skaters and post here the (city or bank) address to send checks.

One interesting note here. I spoke with two skaters involved in this project recently. When I mentioned "community service" it was received as a bad thing, equated to the "community service" a person might get as the result of a crime. This is not what we usually mean by community service! Parents, Teachers, and others near youth need to make it clear that community service is a good thing that many people do without being asked and without (monetary) reward. Examples include: Learning CPR, being a volunteer, planting trees, clearing trails, cleaning public parks, reading to young children at the library, church or school, helping and elderly or disabled neighbor with house or yard work, visiting a shut-in, tutoring a younger person etc. It is not punishment!

Again, I only get to my computer about twice a month so be patient for a response. If you need more speed feel free to call, I'm in the book (R.W.)

Bob

Back to TOC