Re: Bikini Contest

In our discussion with our teen at dinner last night, my daughter indicated
that her impression was that Friday night's event was primarily focussed on
the under-age dance club aspect rather than the bikini contest which will
supposedly last less than ten minutes.  When I asked her why they couldn't
just have the dancing without the bikini contest, her response was "BECAUSE
NO GUYS WOULD COME!"  I guess the presumption is that guys will go to watch
girls strut around in bikinis and girls will go because there will be guys
there.  Maybe some people will actually end up dancing.

I thought it was especially telling that the club claimed they couldn't have
a similar male contest due to "time constraints." I believe the truth is
that The Beach knows good and well that no high school age boy in Moscow
would don a Speedo and walk the catwalk in such a contest and holding one
would only drive other males away. It says a lot about our community and
society in general that girls are willing to either do this themselves or
cheer for their friends who are participating (while sniping about the
participants to others).  I doubt that it has occurred to the participants
that they are being used as a draw for The Beach to get boys in the club so
that it can cover its overhead during spring break. I would be interested to
find out how _all_ the young women present will feel about the contest and
themselves after witnessing this event.
And, as if high school isn't traumatic enough with social pecking orders and
cliques, now we will have the officially crowned winner (and runners up) of
the High School Bikini Contest!

Thankfully my daughter and I will be out of town on Friday, though I will be
interested to hear if the event indeed takes place and what the fallout (if
any) is.

-Karen Olstad