Legislative Newsletter from Rep. Trail, February 28-March 5, 1999

Visionaries:

We are headed down the homestretch for the 1999 legislative session.  There is
one prediction that we'll be out by March 19th.  However, the pundits have been
wrong before.

1. HBs 176 and 177 - -Reading Initiative  -- HB 176 is a new set of standards
for reading by grade level, and testing of all kindergarten through third grade
students each fall and spring to see if  the students meet the standards.  HB
176 passed the House with ease, with only 5 no votes.
HB 177 -- is an intervention program targeting children who score below grade
level on the tests with special, intensive summer schools.  There was heated
debate with this bill which passed 38-24.
I'm a co-sponsor of 176 and 177 and I will be introducing HB 178 on Monday
which is a third piece of the package.  HB 178 calls for expanded training in
research based training skills for both pre-service and in-service training of
teachers.  The bills will now move on to the Senate.

2. HCR 20--Study Committee for the Gifted and Talented -- I introduced HCR 20
on Thursday in the House Education Committee.  The bill passed 14-2.  HCR 20
calls for the Legislative Council to establish an interim committee to identify
alternative sources of funding for gifted and talented programs.  The Idaho
Legislature in 1992 mandated that all school districts should carry out gifted
and talented programs in five talent areas.  Except for funding the position of
a state coordinator and $500,000 for training in FY 99, this has been
essentially an unfunded mandate on local school districts.  About 39 school
districts have no gifted and talented coordinator.

3. HB 110 -- Victim Identify Theft  -- This bill would make it illegal for
anyone to commandeer a person's identity through a Social Security number or
similar personal information.  I'm co-sponsoring this bill with Rep. Randy
Hansen and the Attorney General's Office.  Victim Identity Theft losses in 1997
were estimated at $742,000,000.  The bill was passed by the Senate Jud/Rules
Committee.
Victim Identity Theft was even prevalent in William Shakespeare's time;  In his
words:

"Who steals my purse steals trash,
'tis something, nothing
'twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands,
But he that filches from me my good name, robs me of that which
not enriches him, and makes me poor indeed."
(Othello, Act III.)

The Bill now moves on to the Senate floor.

4. HB 143 -- Recycling  --  this bill is set for a hearing in Senate State
Affairs on March 10th.  I'm co-sponsoring this bill with Sen. Schroeder.  The
bill would allow state agencies to purchase up to 5% of their paper
requirements utilizing recycled paper products, and pay up to a 5% premium.

5. Senate Bill 1130  --  Duck Racing  -- Occasionally one finds a bit of humor
in legislation.  Rubber duck racing is a popular way to raise money for
charity.  There has been a $1,000 cap on first prize and the bill would raise
those limits.
Frankly, the duck racing bill has sparked the idea of legalizing frog jumping
contests in Idaho.  The famous author, Mark Twain, wrote about frogs jumping in
Calaveras County, California.  Frog racing might not only replacing horse and
greyhound racing but stimulate the development of French restaurants.  Losing
frogs could donate their legs to serve as the basis of the frog legs used in
these dining establishments.

6. Education Issues and News

a. JFAC -- Joint Finance and Appropriations Committee approved almost
$1,000,000  for the University of Idaho's new bio-tech building.  The funds
will pay for costs to  meet state fire code requirements.

b. HB 278 --This bill would allow school boards to increase the levy to pay for
safety repairs to schools.  The legislation does not provide voters the
opportunity to vote on the levy.  This is an attempt by the Legislature to
satisfy the State Supreme Court that  we are making "best" efforts to ensure,
that as outlined by the Idaho State  Constitution, that the Legislature provide
students with a safe learning environment.   With more than $500,000,000 of
schools needed to be built in Idaho, HB 278 is a Band-Aid approach.  In Arizona
the Supreme Court found the State was not adequately funding  for safe schools,
and ordered the State to come up with $400,000,000.  I'm voting  against HB 278
simply because as a Legislature we are not meeting our obligation to  provide
safe school facilities.

c. Super-majority Proposal Defeated -- Idaho is the only state in the nation
that requires  two-thirds voter approval for school bond levies without
providing any state funding for  school buildings.  The Senate State Affairs
Committee defeated Sen. Schroeder's  proposal for a proposed constitutional
amendment to reduce the 2/3 voter approval required for school bond levies to
60% in May or November elections

d. Citizen Advisory Voter Using Sales Tax to Pay for School Facilities -- Sen.
Schroeder's resolution to hold a statewide advisory vote on increasing the
sales tax to pay for  school facilities was defeated 8-1 in committee.

e. HB 308 -- Banker's Bill for School Facilities  -- this will come up for a
vote on the House  floor on March 8th.  The bill would increase the amount of
money districts could  borrow against property tax levies that require 55% or
60% voter approval.  If passed  this would essentially mortgage schools,
increase interest payments, and raise property taxes.  Again, I view this as
another Band-Aid attempt by the Legislature to  avoid stepping up to the plate
and making a major commitment to assist school  districts with school
facilities.

g. Public School Endowment Fund Earnings for School Facilities -- This bill
would use 20 percent of the Public School Endowment Fund's earnings to provide
money for school buildings.  The bill would generate roughly $20 million a year
after it became effective July 1, 2001.  A school district would receive up to
20 percent of the total bond levy that its patrons approve.  This bill is
sponsored by Reps. Chase and Ringo.

7. Campaign Finance Reform -- the House State Affairs Committee endorsed a bill
requiring lawmakers to report campaign contributions received during the
legislative session within 48 hours.  This is a step in the right direction,
but major reform is still needed.

8. Education Savings Bill Defeated -- The House Tax Committee killed Rep.
Bruneel's bill to create educational savings accounts.  This would have allowed
a parent or relative to put $500 before taxes into an account for the child to
use from K-12.

9. Western Primary Bill -- The Senate endorsed legislation authorizing the
state to participate in the Western regional presidential primary.  This would
cost the state about $500,000 which I feel could be used for greater
priorities.

Rep. Trail, district 5

 I would like constituents to e-mail, phone, fax, or write me with their
ideas, comments and recommendations.

by phone: (at the House Communications Center)

208-332-1201 or 1000  (phone)
208-334-5397  (fax)

by email:

Boise daytime:           ttrail@house.state.id.us
Boise evening:            mjmaxwell@juno.com
Moscow (weekends):   ttrail@moscow.com

if uncertain, you can send email to RepTrail@infotrail.com and your message
will be forwarded to me at the proper location.

or by normal mail

Idaho State Legislature,
State Capitol Bldg
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0038

Legislative newsletters and additional materials and information can be
located on my web
and home page http://www.infotrail.com/idaho/idaho.html

Back to TOC