Re: Office depot, skating rink, & other things...

> But  it is not the business of
>government to provide such services.
Only, however, if the public agrees to tax itself for it. Most urban
stadiums and domes are heavily subsidized, at the outset, by public
funds, usually bonds or outright user taxes ("fees") levied against the
public. College facilities are publicly financed. We ought to be able to
create public, non-proft corporations to build and operate recreational
facilities for our children that will provide low-cost entertainment and
child development options. It's an investment in our future and ought not
to be "only for profit". Circus and carnival enterprises are a very
different category. But non-profits under a citizen board and managed by
private entrepreneurs with business experience ought not to be very
difficult to create. The community can do what it wants; it only needs to
be well informed, obtain professional and business counsel, and then make
a decision. The Ernst affair came about, it seems to me, through a near
total lack of public information, discussion and goal-setting. Town
meetings and forums can prevent such derelictions, no?

William K. Medlin
Dev-plan associates
930 Kenneth Street
Moscow ID 83843