Re: Office depot, skating rink, & other things...

I appreciate Mr. Schutz's insight into both the Palouse Mall
decision-making process and the history of the Moscow skating
rinks--which substantiates Mayme Trumble's prior comment that two
probably failed where one succeeded.

However, the comment about the parks and recreational facilities
seems to me to beg the question that was posed by Lois Melina about
public funding of recreational facilities and activities.   What is
the justification for the city/county being involved in creating
"parks and open spaces" but no other recreational facilities?
Don't we as a community get to choose whether we want a park or a
skating rink or a swimming pool or soccer fields, or tennis courts,
or. . .?  I thought that within the bounds of the Constitution that
WE make the government--that we decide whether to struggle with
sub-standard school buildings, roads, and bridges--or to fund the
maintenance and replacement thereof;  that we decide how many police
and sheriff officers we want to maintain our security; where we want
industry, agriculture, businesses, and residences within our
community.  And, in fact, we have traditionally decided, as Lois
Melina pointed out, to have recreational sports leagues for children,
ballfields for adults, swimming pools, and parks.  I'm not sure that
simply saying recreation isn't the business of government answers the
question historically or legally.  If it was simply Mr. Schutz's
personal answer, I respect it as how he "votes" on those issues,
however differently i might vote.
As an earlier writer pointed out, there is perhaps a governmental
economics issue in this discussion.  If it's true that the
availability of recreational activities reduces crime (and, thereby,
the  law enforcement and prison costs of the government, to say
nothing of the social costs), isn't that another legitimate basis
upon which community members might support spending for recreational
activities?
That said, I also support Mr. Schutz's idea that a group of
interested community members can create recreational facilities--for
profit or not. In some ways such private interests have advantages
over government-sponsored activities.  To name just one, private
interests are not subject to the bidding process, but can negotiate
openly for the best price available for the building of a facility,
supplies, maintenance, etc.
Thanks to all the writers to date on this topic.  It is timely,
significant to our community, and thought-provoking.

Mike Curley

Back to TOC