Office depot, skating rink, & other things...

Here's my two cents---

The announcement for OD did not shock or surprise me.  OD's marketing
strategy is to open stores within a half mile of Staples and the Ernst space
fits that bill.  You might remember a couple of years back, OD & Staples
tried to merge, they were not allowed to because that would have created an
unfair market share.   So instead you have two mega corps.  competing at the
expense of the smaller local business across the country.  My vote is still
for Ken's Stationary.  Seems when ever I need something Ken's actually has
it.  Staples has to order it.  So maybe both Staples and OD will compete
each other out of business, and the Ken's of the world will succeed.

About trying to get a different business in the Ernst space...I know for a
fact the Palouse Mall tried very diligently (almost 2 years)  to attract an
Eagle or Home Depot.  The problem is both of those chains want a market of
75-100K people.  They (HD & Eagle)  are not targeting nor are they
interested in 'smaller' markets such as Moscow.    I know this in part
because I wrote a number of personal letters to both businesses suggesting
they look here.

Let's not forget that the Palouse Mall is a business, and they need a tenant
in the space. Sam is right when he said Mall's primary activity is to make
money for it's owners/stockholders.  A vacant space costs money not makes
it.   The mall still has to pay taxes on the Ernst building if it is not
occupied so  OD will pay the rent,  and  the Mall can pay the taxes,  and
that's the way it has to be.  It is up to us to 'vote' with our dollars as
to whether we want/need a particular Mall business.    If either business
leaves then we should help find and recruit a business we want.   Not bemoan
the fact afterwards.  How many of us went and talked to the Palouse Mall
Manager to express our desires?

About the skating rink, my parents owned the rink in the Mall.  It was a
very successful venture until my parent's accountant  decided he could make
money in the same business.  So he built the Logos school building, and both
businesses closed within a year.  Roller Skating tends to be a cyclic
activity and seems to gain popularity every 10 years or so.  There will
never be enough business in Moscow  to support two such facilities.  Since
both closed it is assumed that skating was unpopular/unprofitable, that's
not entirely true, but investors look at historical data and with both
closures it looks that way.

I don't believe that  the City/County should be involved in the recreation
business beyond providing open spaces and parks.  If there is a group of
individuals that want a skating rink, then they should put up the capital
the business would take, and operate it.    But  it is not the business of
government to provide such services.

Jerry L. Schutz

Back to TOC