Media Monsters

Largely due to two fine universities in our neighborhoods, we are blessed
with high quality programming most of the time, so that our children and
families can better understand our world. For the rest of the
programming, other than regional news of "who dunnit". and the weather,
what fare is our community served? Recently a Michigan newspaper reporter
investigated the "take" by ABC for its 2-hr. (90 min. interview, 30 min.
advertising) 20/20 piece of Barbara Walters hosting Monica (who?).  He
found out that ABC charged its advertisers  an average of $800K for each
30-sec. segment, for those minutes (approx. 10 min) that were NOT
released for LOCAL station inputs, etc. So the remaining 20 minutes
netted ABC an estimated $35 million for the 2-hour interview!  If we
wanted to know really what much of the hype that this highly personal,
but also political of course, affair was all about, we'd have to consider
these lucrative earnings from advertising as one of the driving
motivations. You know where the money comes from: Our household budgets
used to buy the advertisers' products. Could we possibly use our money
differently? Think about it.
    It's a free market. So why cannot we, in our neat communities here,
have more programming suited to our own needs, rather than being served
so much stuff of quesitonable value and import to our lives? Ownership of
utility lines and broadcasting are   publicly regulated operations, yet
we the public have almost no say in what they carry. Think about it.
It's our children's future.

William K. Medlin
Dev-plan associates
930 Kenneth Street