is this a good idea?

Would this work here?
BL

North Coast county launches its own currency

MENDOCINO, Calif. (AP) -- Wildflowers, quaint bed and breakfasts and
craggy
rocks may abound along this North Coast haven, but jobs are hard to come
by. So when some residents wanted to make some money, they did just
that.

They printed their own currency.

The first bills for SEED, short for "self-sufficient ecological economic
development," were issued Sunday, following in the tradition of some 65
local currencies started in towns such as Berkeley, Ithaca, N.Y., and
Kansas City.

Those who can't afford the $5 to $5,000 membership to the nonprofit
group
can barter their services -- chopping wood, baby-sitting or renting out
garden space -- in exchange for goods at businesses that take part.

"It's a weird and twisted world, and here's an opportunity to have a
tiny
little neighborhood economic affair," said Stanley Miklose, who accepts
SEED at his Fort Bragg natural food store, Down Home Foods. "This is a
ground-level opportunity for us to engage in developing our own value
system."

So far, SEED -- two years in the making -- has 160 members in Mendocino
County, including a plumber, bookstore and medical clinic. Each bill is
worth an hour of work, valued at $10 for everyone from lawyers to
laborers.

It's a way to keep money in a county that had an unemployment rate of
8.2
percent in December, double the state's jobless rate. Environmental
regulations, clear cutting and overfishing have eroded traditional jobs
in
the logging and >>salmon<< industries, and rainy weather has kept
tourists
away.

And when Mendocino residents have something to buy, they often end up
going
over the hill to the chain discount stores in Ukiah.

"... A U.S. dollar can be spent at RiteAid and then leave town," said
Susan
Hofberg, who will accept SEED money at her Corners of the Mouth natural
foods store. "If a SEED is spent in the Mendocino Pharmacy, it has to be
spent again here."

The bills, which will also come in half-, quarter- and eighth-SEED
notes,
are printed on recycled paper, some embellished with redwoods and a
waterfall and others with a nude woman clad only in a well-placed fig
leaf.

The notes are embossed with a serial number to prevent counterfeiting
and
can be used to purchase goods or labor in towns from Elk to Westport.

And it's perfectly legal, experts say.

While local governments are banned from printing money, nonprofit
agencies
are allowed to exchange currency in bills larger than a dollar, said
Lewis
D. Solomon, a business law professor at George Washington University Law
School.

SEED money may not escape the Internal Revenue Service -- transactions
still are taxed -- and besides helping to support the community, it's a
lot
of fun, members said.

"It's like liking to play store when you're a kid," said Hofberg. "I'd
make
food out of Play-doh. Here I am, with real food and play money."

RReceived: from whale.fsr.net (slist@whale.fsr.net [207.141.26.9]) by fsr.com (8.8.8/8.7.3) with ESMTP id LAA09633 for <vision2020-archive@archive.fsr.com>; Tue, 2 Mar 1999 11:53:34 -0800 (PST)