RE: Fire Station Question

I don't want to be too negative on the new fire station but I have several questions that aren't being addressed or just glossed over.  I know fire and ambulance funding is very confusing in Idaho but  it seems like good answers are in order to secure funding for the station.

The construction of a new fire station on the north end of Moscow is very important from a response time perspective.  We need this station in order to retain the good fire rating we enjoy in the City of Moscow.  This rating translates directly into lower fire insurance rates.

How much would are insurance rates go up if we lost the rating  in comparison to the increase in taxes?  Would the whole cities rating go up or just those with longer response times?

We also need this station because of sprawl to the north.  Can and is it appropriate if those new developments provide some funding for the station ?

The fact the new facility is located in an area that will benefit County residents is really a secondary factor.  As a matter of fact, County fire equipment will be stored in the station and they will pay rent for this space or contribute to the capital cost of this facility.  The details of this agreement are not finalized at this point in time.

This sounds like a recipe for having the county contribute little to the capital cost.  Why would the county contribute in the current time of very tight government revenue?

Thanks for any additional insights you can provide

David

David Nelson
Nelson & Roseme, Inc.
Phone 208 883-7699