Re: Summer thoughts on Moscow governance

Interesting, I hadn't heard that the first floor of the city hall was to be renovated into offices.  I guess this helps explain the persistent rumors regarding the new "youth" rec center being designed to accommodate aerobics and jazzercise.

In regards to why we expect some public facilities to pay their own way, I am reminded of a phrase used by Robert Heinlien, "tanstaafl"  That is, "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch".

I never thought the pool would pay for itself, but the city council used this as a promise to voters if they passed the bond levy.  The city council, hoping to convince voters to say yes to a tax increase, created the expectation that the pool would pay for itself.

City parks are paid for by the community, and open to all to enjoy.  Baseball fields are also paid for by the community, but use is often limited to organized groups, that then are charged a "fee" to help maintain the field.  This is right and appropriate.

I pay taxes that help build roads, build and maintain hospitals, schools, etc.  Some of these should be open and free to the public, and others should charge user fees.  I do subsidize most of what is "community" thru the fees I pay, the Fed, state, and local property taxes I pay, and by voting yes for worthwhile projects.

If  project is deemed worthwhile by the community, then the community will agree to subsidize it with a vote.  Assuming, of course, that we are allowed to have a chance to vote!!!

John

John and Laurie Danahy
jdanahy@turbonet.com

Back to TOC