Moscow's Angels

    Over the last few years, several very generous people have given –
GIVEN—more than $10 million to you and me and all of us who live here.
These benefactors have chosen to donate huge sums of money and property
to our community to make it a better place.
    Perhaps it all began with the donation of his 40 acre farm a few
miles north of town by Virgil Phillips about ten years ago.  He left his
farm to the city of Moscow to be managed for the benefit of local
children.
    Then a few years ago, Bob Hamilton, a former Moscow resident, and
his wife, donated the land at Mountain View and F Streets where the
present Aquatics Center is built.  That gift saved the taxpayers of
Moscow about $300,000 and ensured that the pool was constructed.
    When Hamilton died he left the bulk of his estate to
Moscow—approximately $7 million.  All he asked was that the city of
Moscow use that money for the betterment of local youth.  A city task
force is now identifying those uses, and we will be reaping the benefits
of his foresight and generosity for years.
    The next donor, who has chosen to remain anonymous, has pledged $2
million for the resurrection of the 1912 high school building.  The
renovation has now begun, and by August we will have a chance to enjoy
the Great Hall: a huge open meeting space open to everyone on the bottom
floor of the building.  The 1912 building will become a hub of Moscow’s
cultural and social life, thanks to that gift.
    Another anonymous gift of more than $1 million has created the Latah
County Community Foundation.  This organization is designed to give away
money to needy local groups.  A few months ago, the foundation presented
about 20 Latah County organizations with a total of $25,000.  The
foundation will continue to dispense money to worthwhile groups in
perpetuity, thanks to the initial benefactor’s gift.
    Taken individually, any of these gifts would make an incredible
difference in a community of our size.  Viewed together, these gifts are
a powerful force for positive change in our community.
    We can not thank these benefactors too much.  Their foresight, their
sensitivity, and their generosity amaze me.  And a special thanks is due
to the anonymous benefactors whose modesty and humility are absolutely
saintly.

Back to TOC