Legislative Alert 2-27-01

1. Community Resource Program  --  JFAC funded $2 million for the Community
Resource Program.  They had also sent $4 million to the Dept. of Ed.
discretionary line item that could be used for this purpose.  The program
is voluntary and not mandatory.  The line item for discretionary funds
totals over $62 million in the public school budget but there are many
demands at the district level for the funds.  Patrons, teachers, and
supporters of the program will need to indicate their support to the
trustees and administration to continue the program.  This is still a break
through because late last week we thought the program was dead.

2. Minimum Wage for Farm Workers  --  A major breakthrough occurred over
the weekend.  Sen. Bart Davis contacted me on Friday evening and said that
he was trying to broker a compromise on HB 71.  I contacted Sen. Davis on
Saturday and got the amendments to HB 71 that he was proposing.  I
contacted the leaders of the Farm Worker's Coalition, and on Sunday
afternoon we reviewed the amendments and decided to support the compromise.

This afternoon the Governor's Office, Department of Labor, the Farm Bureau,
and the Farm Worker's Coalition all came out in support of the compromise
bill.  The Senate Committee voted 9-0 to approve it and pass it on to the
floor of the Senate.  We still have to get it through the Senate and the
House but this break through is significant.

The compromise HB 71 with amendments would cover about 95% of the farm
workers in the state of Idaho under the minimum wage.  We will still work
in the future to cover all of the farm workers, but this is a major victory
for all concerned.  Now we will be working during the next 30 days to get
the bill through the rest of the Legislative Process.

Rep. Tom Trail, district 5
ttrail@house.state.id.us
Phone: 208-332-1202

  I would like constituents to contact me by e-mail me with their ideas,
comments and recommendations.

Legislative newsletters and additional materials and information can be
located on my web
and home page http://www.infotrail.com/idaho

Back to TOC