Diversity workshop this Friday and you're invited

Dear Visionaries,

The City of Moscow is sponsoring along with others a great workshop this Friday on the subject of diversity. This comes after my attendance several weeks ago at a national invited conference on "Undoing Racism." The National League of Cities is leading a comprehensive effort to address the difficult and uncomfortable problem America has with race. If you noticed the remarks of the Republican state party chair that used stereotypes of African American men in Washington D.C., you will understand how important it is that we address this problem!

I am pasting in the press release that will be distributed tomorrow and attaching the final program for people who want more information.

I hope you will consider joining us. The speakers will be first rate and you, as citizens and part of the dialogue, can only make it better.

Here goes:

February 20, 2001

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Moscow, Idaho: At the third annual diversity forum sponsored by the National League of Cities’ National Black Caucus of Local Elected Officials, the City of Moscow, the Association of Idaho Cities, and the University of Idaho, city officials from the Northwest and interested citizens will explore "The Challenge of Diversity and the New Millennium" this Friday, February 23, at the University of Idaho College of Law and Moscow’s City Hall.

Keynote speaker is Felicia Gaskins, Associate Vice Provost for Human Relations and Diversity at Washington State University. Gaskins’ comments will prompt a response panel including NBC-LEO president Carol Y. Clark, council member from East Orange, New Jersey, Cindy Lopez, Longview, WA, community service police officer, Deborah Love, director of WSU’s Center for Human Rights, Michael Shaw, Human Rights Coordinator, Association of Idaho Cities, Phill Allen, Nez Perce Tribe, Raul Sanchez, Diversity Director, University of Idaho, Vera White Reynolds, council member, Harrisburg, PA and treasurer, NBC-LEO and Sam Byrd, diversity trainer from Boise.

"The morning program at the Law School Courtroom will be a great opportunity to hear the wisdom and perspective of a wonderful African American role model in the Palouse, Felicia Gaskins, someone who knows directly how important it is for our communities to welcome people of color," said Linda Pall, Moscow City Council and member of NBC-LEO’s Board of Directors. "Having such a great lineup of leaders in diversity will give city leaders and interested people a fresh perspective and new tools to end racism in our towns and cities, indeed in our hearts."

"The afternoon will emphasize small group interaction at City Hall. A special full afternoon interactive workshop on attracting, recruiting and retaining people of color will be led by Jeff Goebel, strategic planner and facilitator. Another track will explore a human rights model for understanding community, followed by a nuts and bolts workshop on recruitment facilitated by Sam Byrd, trainer, of Boise whose business, DiversityWorks!, specializes in giving new tools to employers and public officials to promote inclusion."

Pall emphasized that there is no registration cost for this day long event and encouraged citizens to attend both the morning at the College of Law and the afternoon at City Hall.

-30-

Please note: a full schedule follows. The press is welcome at any or all of the event. If you need more information, please call Linda Pall, 882-7255.

Program 2001.doc

Back to TOC