From: WMSteed@aol.com [mailto:WMSteed@aol.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2001 5:12 PM
To: adavie@moscow.com; vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: Re: Moscow, one of the most Biked and car-free communities

In a message dated 2/11/01 11:20:45 AM, adavie@moscow.com writes:

<< According to a compilation of Census and DOT data at
http://www.bikesatwork.com/information/carfree/
26.33% of Moscow's population does NOT rely on a car for
transportation, and 4.78% rely on bikes. >>

I'm not sure the title of the piece, Moscow, one of the most Biked and
car-free communities is any more accurate than the headlines in a newspaper.

I suspect the 26.33% is a result of half of the population (U of I students)
driving to town and then walking to class, etc., for weeks at a time.  That
is until they drive back to their home towns.  Playing with the numbers
means
the other half of the students rely on their cars.

Having only 5% bike certainly couldn't qualify us for "most Biked" in any
sense.  Hopefully the extension of a paved bike path east of Tidymans and
then, soon, from there west to join the Pullman path will add to this
percentage.

Walter Steed

Back to TOC