RE: groundwater declining

Dear Will,

I understand that we are tapping into different water sources. Remember my
statement that the city wells were a lot deeper. I actually have studied
geology and especially have been interested in the geology of the northwest.
I do not generally like to delve into the technical details of things when I
communicate to the general masses. I guess this is due to my highly
technical background. I find that people are not interested in the extreme
details when conceptual discussions are going on. Once they get hooked, then
they delve deeper and get technical. I may have not communicated properly.
What I am saying is the city water source is not doing well at all and the
county wells are dropping rapidly requiring people to re drill for water. I
disagree with the notion that we have nothing to worry about with the water
source in most of the county. At our rate we will have dramatic problems in
a couple of decades (sooner at many of the shallow wells in the county). The
east side of Moscow is in worst shape (water level and availability). As the
water level drops, we will have to drill deeper, it will be harder to hit
water, and thus the cost of getting water will skyrocket. At this point the
value of the properties in the area will nose dive and effect the whole
economy in a very negative way. As for the replenishment of the shallower
wells... you are right. They are being replenished but they are also more
sensitive to cyclical or long-term droughts. We will not run out of water
completely... it will just become scarce and as we drill more wells to tap
into it the cost of water will affect property values dramatically.
Conservation will work. The problem is that, historically, we will not do a
damned thing about it until we are forced to wake up. As you well know our
water source is ancient (for the city)... the source is not replenished very
well (more like at all). To keep Moscow going we will probably have to bring
water from Lewiston (river) and filter it (heavily!) so we can have water. I
will let the group figure out the cost of water around here in a couple of
decades. I guess we are so short sited that the only way to get us to do the
right thing is to put a $ in front of it! There are certainly individuals
who are very conserving but as a people we tend to be selfish, short sited
and lazy.

Look at the situation In California with respect to electricity. It is the
same thing. They can generate electricity by solar photovoltaic easily (like
Israel has done for decades). They get more sun than most in this country
and need more electricity in summer. Why don't they have solar panels on all
buildings? Because they are short sited and lazy. As long as we have what we
need we like to sit on out butts and ignore signs of future problems. Why is
it that we have not developed fuel-cell technology to better generate
electricity and heat in our homes instead of all the ugly cables in the
streets and the huge energy loss due to transport of electricity? Why is it
that we are driving cars that burn gas still when the technology to go
electric is more affordable? Is it apathy? Is it ignorance? Are we so busy
watching TV that we cannot be bothered to actually know something about our
society? Or is it greed? Do you think that Avista like you generating your
own power? Do you think the oil companies want you to drive electric cars?
Do you think that the big business who runs this country is going to worry
about you and what your needs are?

The answer is not conservation, energy generation, recycling, reusing and
the other politically correct ways of doing things! The answer is to wake up
and take control of our own world... it is to stop being sheep and a slave
to the all mighty $... it is to do the right thing even if it is not to your
individual benefit... it is living with principle of bettering the society
you live in not consumption and gluttony. If we lived appropriately we would
minimize our negative impact upon our environment. We would not have to talk
about conservation because we would only take what we need. So is it
Gluttony or apathy? The answer is YES!!

Your brother in arms,

Shahab...