Legislative Update IV, Jan. 26-Feb. 2, 2001

LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER IV - JANUARY 26-FEB 2/2001

Sen. Gary Schroeder, Rep. Gary Young, and I traveled to Potlatch and Troy
on Saturday to hold two town meetings.  We were gratified that about 55
attended the meeting in Potlatch and 35 in Troy. The majority of the
questions raised concerned education, tax cuts, rural development, Highway
95, impact of higher truck fees on in-state truckers, and the potential
impact of the tussock moth infestation on Moscow Mountain.  We also found
out that the ostrich spotted by six of Fish and Games finest near Moscow
Mountain is an emu and not an ostrich.

1. Tax Issue  --  The finely tuned tax cut package of Governor Kempthorne
was again delayed in the House and Revenue Committee.  The latest report is
that the plan may become unraveled, and a number of tax proposals will be
introduced.  One of the proposals that I support is eliminating the
personal property tax on farm equipment.  Apparently, the Governor will
support a one year application.  Many legislators from rural areas feel if
we can get it passed for one year we can come back again and make it
permanent.  In Latah County this would save farmers about
$430,000/year.  The difference would be made up to the county from the
state general fund.

2. Prescription Drug Credit  --  Currently, Idaho Seniors (over 65) on
average pay over $700/year for prescription drugs.  Debate continues on the
national scene over some help for prescription drugs.  Rep. Mary Lou
Shepherd, Wallace, and I are co-sponsoring a bill that would provide
Seniors over 65 with incomes under a gross of $15,000 a $100 tax credit on
prescription drugs. The application for the credit would be made in the
same manner that one applies for a grocery tax credit.

3. Eliminate The Sales Tax on Required College Textbooks  --  I've been
working with university student leadership in developing this bill.  The
impact of the bill would be to help make education more affordable for
students.  Seven states already have similar legislation in place, and two
similar bills have been introduced in Washington State.

4. Michael Jordan Bill  --  Idaho has no Right of Privacy Law.  We are all
aware that many companies sell your name and personal data to
telemarketers.  My feeling is that like famous sports stars who sell their
name and personal data for a profit that the common citizen should have the
same privilege.  Your name and personal data are your intellectual
property.   My bill simply states that if a company sells your name and
personal data and with your consent that your get back 25% of the
transaction.  Rep. Chuck Cuddy introduced a similar bill but the average
citizen would only get 10% of the transaction.  The Attorney General's
Office would enforce the legislation.

5. Minimum Wage for Farm Workers  --  The Governor's bill was passed by the
House Ag Committee by a 8-4 vote. This bill still does not cover 40% of
farm workers. Our best bet is a minimum wage bill introduced by Sen. Gary
Schroeder on the Senate side. So we still hold out some hope.

6. Commission to Wait on Area Code Hearings  --  the Idaho PUC will wait
until spring when a new phone number forecast comes out before scheduling
public hearings on processes to implement a new area code in Idaho.  A
Commission news release indicated, "By late May the new forecast will give
us a better indication of when Idaho will run out of the existing 208 area
code.  With that information, we can better set the timetable needed to get
public input on how best to put the new area code in service."

7. Hunting Break for Seniors  --  The Idaho House passed two bills aimed at
increasing outdoor recreation opportunities for the state's senor
citizens.  One of the proposals would eliminate the requirement that
someone with a senior resident combination hunting and fishing license also
be at least 70 years old to qualify for half price bear, deer, and elk
tags. The other bill would also allow Idaho nursing homes to buy a single
resident fishing permit for $30 a year that would enable all the home's
residents to fish during the open season.

8. Rural Airport Assistance  --  The Federal Government has funds available
on a 9-1 match to help develop rural airports. The House passed a bill that
would earmark $300,000 to help rural communities with their match. Rural
airports typically use the grants to make repairs or improvements that
allow them to bring in larger planes.

Rep. Tom Trail, district 5
ttrail@house.state.id.us
Phone: 208-332-1202

  I would like constituents to contact me by e-mail me with their ideas,
comments and recommendations.

Legislative newsletters and additional materials and information can be
located on my web
and home page http://www.infotrail.com/idaho

Back to TOC