Re: Education / Taxes

Appreciate your analysis. HOWEVER, apparently you have not had
experience in the classroom or on a teaching contract. Mine compares
with most who work diligently in this profession (there are always
laggards and cheaters in any line of work). A school or college
teacher's job does not begin with the opening or closing "bell" nor
with the first class meeting. It may begin at 7:30 AM and end at 9 PM
(with breaks, of course), when grading, planning, evaluating, reading
and communicating (we get calls at home, you know -- I used to get
them up to 11 PM). When do teachers "keep up" on their fields or plan
curriculum innovation, speak to parents, do after-school tutoring,
etc? During class time, in the evening, during vacation breaks, or
just burning the midnight oil? Like other professionals, teachers
attend from time to time enrichment and other education workshops,
sessions, etc. The so-called "three month vacation" is a myth for the
workmanlike educator, when we allow for post school-year work and
pre-school year preparations -- we're talking about 7 or 8 weeks of
"free time" in summer.
	For several years running, I had to document ALL
teaching-related time during a regular semester, and was actually
queried about my reporting. The average weekly time spent "on the
job" was 65 hours, and it came to about $10 per hour on average in
compensation (this was college level)  I also taught in public
schools for two years, and my average hours per week were 55.
Multiply either of these figures by 40 or 45 weeks of contractual
work time, and what do you get in terms of hours worked?
		A 65 hr-week average yields 2,900 hours per year for 40 weeks
		A 55 hr-week   "        "   2,200 "      "	 for 40 weeks
    On the other hand, an employee working a 40 hour week, averaging 4
weeks vacation per year (3 contractual weeks plus one week of
holidays) compiles only 1,900 hours per year.
	Who's working more, who's getting the higher rate of pay? You
tell me! I realize that some other professionals also do "over time"
on their career jobs, but they also demand MUCH more compensation --
the records are clear on that. A UI or WSU business college grad
having a 3-point or better can START at between $45 and 55K per year.
Have you checked the salaries lately?
	The gross ignorance among the tax-paying public about the
"loafers" and "free riders" slopping at the taxpayers' trough is an
unholy MYTH! These fabrications undermine public trust in our most
precious institution in a democracy, the public school which prepares
90% of our youth for the nation's future. The best dollar ever
invested is that placed in an educated child, an investment that
returns the most value of any other. Without human talents trained
and shaped for cultural continuity and renewal, where would we be
today? America's leadership stems primarily from her human resources,
but they have been declining in quality for about 30 years, across
the board, with some exceptions. Research tells us that the most
important variable in education is the teaching role. To neglect that
is to neglect our future welfare.
	HOPEFULLY, this "lecture" will help inform you and others
about some of the realities of our schools and colleges.Thanks for
listening.  Ken M.

>In a message dated 1/28/01 10:49:35 PM, dev-plan@moscow.com writes:
>
><< the need for
>society to recognize teachers more fully for the professional people
>they are and to compensate them more fairly, in line with those who
>have equal college preparation but earn much more (up to twice the
>amount) than do teachers (engineering, business, legal, health
>professions, etc). >>
>
>I get a little tired of the "poor" teacher argument.  Six years ago I got a
>list of salaries at the Moscow School System and found the top salary was
>$38,380 for nine months work.  When annualized (let's assume Christmas
>vacation compares to full year workers' two-three week vacations), it was
>over $50,000.  Additionally, my wife and I have noticed for years that in
>addition to doctors, lawyers and dentists on the ski hill we see teachers
>(Rarely an engineer).  Granted starting salaries may be lower than other
>professions but for a nine months a year job, it doesn't pay as poorly as the
>teacher unions would want you to believe.
>
>Walter Steed

Back to TOC