pick-up sticks

To:   The committee for over-concern about small matters
From: Evan Holmes; local observer, whiner-in-training

Question:  Has anybody but me contacted Adelphia about the practices of
their contractor, XL Cable, concerning the disposal of pruned branches from
trees in easements and right-of-ways? In early December I asked somebody at
the cable company if their contract with XL Cable allowed for limbs cut
from trees during the new cable installation to be left on the ground
uncollected. This is a burden for property owners. GTE or WWP had conducted
this kind of business around my property in the past but their workers or
subcontractors always cleaned up after themselves. After I contacted
Adelphia some workers from XL Cable came to my house and threw the
delinquent branches onto their truck. In the ensuing two months I've
noticed that the cable installers have left cut branches under curbside
trees all over Moscow. These are usually on city owned property. One pile
was left blocking the driveway at a house on 8th Street. Who is responsible
for cleaning up the debris? Does the city's tree ordinance say anything
about this? Has anybody else noticed this?

I made one other comment to Adelphia but I don't know if this was forwarded
to the contractor. We didn't know that somebody was going to be working
behind our house on that day in December until we saw workers climbing
around the trees and on top of sheds and fences. It was kind of startling
to see this one morning - we were accustomed to utility workers from GTE or
WWP coming to the door first to announce their trespass for purpose of
accessing the easement. Sometimes they would even let us know the day
before .Also they never climbed on fences or outbuildings to do the work.
Anybody else have similar experiences?

Back to TOC