Re: Moscow suicide

The suicide was mentioned at the School Board meeting last night--and
coincidentally Police Chief Weaver was present at the meeting to
discuss the bomb threat last week at the high school and how it was
handled from the police perspective.  Superintendent Fisk presented
the administration's part in the incident and fielded questions with
the Chief.  The student's name was not mentioned, but then, no one
asked.  It was more a general acknowledgement in the course of the
meeting that there was a tragedy at the high school today and the
thoughts and prayers of support were expressed for the family of the
student, as well as expressions of concern, sympathy and support for
students and staff who were/are struggling to deal with another blow
in a series that includes the Columbine HS disaster, the bomb threat,
and others.

Perhaps there was an issue of respect for the child's family in the
hours immediately after it became known--especially if few details
were known that would have helped anyone else understand
"why"--assuming there is any such thing.  I agree that rumors can
cause trauma themselves and sometimes disastrous consequences, but I
would allow school and police officials a certain latitude of
judgment in the timing and content of announcements.  At the
moment I certainly don't have enough information to conclude whether
that judgment was reasonably exercised in this case or not.

Mike Curley