vision2020@moscow.com: Re: Elementary School Teacher/Student Ratio threatened

Re: Elementary School Teacher/Student Ratio threatened

John Danahy (JDANAHY@turbonet.com)
Mon, 11 May 1998 22:05:46 -0700

Gens and visionaries;
You are right in you concern about the elimination of the teaching
position at West Park. Declining enrollments over the last several years
in the elementary schools has resulted in the district not filling vacated
positions. The proposed budget was presented as one idea to accommodate
many requests with the limited funds that the state provides us. Not only
do we have to look at next year, but the impact of continued declining
enrollments over several years in the future.
The Board is meeting on May 19th at which time the public is invited
to give input on any part of the proposed budget. There will be a second
meeting by the Board, June 15th I believe, to finish the budget in
preparation to adopting it later in June.
Prioritizing where to spend limited funds is never easy, and a school
board, which must adopt a budget before finishing negotiations, is required
to look at the entire district. I hope you will come to the meeting and
bring, not only your defense of the position at West Park, but some
possible solutions as well.
John Danahy
jdanahy@turbonet.com

----------
> From: Gens Johnson <gens@moscow.com>
> To: vision2020@moscow.com
> Subject: Elementary School Teacher/Student Ratio threatened
> Date: Monday, May 11, 1998 10:41 PM
>
> Are you watching the current school district budget process? Implicit in
> the budget proposed to the School Board last week is the elimination of a
> teaching position at West Park school, and although the school board is
> actually the decision-maker on whether this position is actually
> eliminated, it was presented in the the only budget "option" as a "done
> deal". Wow.
>
> About the only thing that consistently correlates with student
achievement
> throughout school is small class sizes in the elementary grades...and
we're
> talking about increasing class sizes throughout the district by
decreasing
> the number of elementary school teachers, and busing kids from West Park
> other schools.
>
> If this scenario bothers you, please let the school board know.
> Gens Johnson

This archive courtesy of:
First Step Internet