vision2020@moscow.com: Re: Whitworth Building

Re: Whitworth Building

Linda Pall (lpall@moscow.com)
Sun, 10 May 1998 18:07:57 -0700

Dear Priscilla and Visionaries,

The 1912 Moscow High School/Whitworth presentation by the two architecture
students who had studied the building for community center purposes
energized our batteries again with options for the building, including a
'technology branch library,' space for city offices like parks and rec and
the arts commission, a beautiful rendition of the former gym into a bright,
airy space for the senior citizen meals program and other events for the
entire community and adjacent space for senior citizen services (a real
senior center!).

An open, exciting space on the third floor maximized the sky lights
(presently covered and useless) to bring sunlight spilling into the large
open space for community purposes.

Another wonderful element of the students' design was a plaza in front of
the building that would be space that the ground floor/former gym could use
for indoor/outdoor events. You could just see the people at the presentation
thinking about the wonderful events they personally wanted to schedule in
these great spaces!

The students did a masterful job of keeping their proposal flexible, since
we all know that this particular "f" word will be an essential component of
this development. The student who did the model of the building did a stand
out job...it is truly terrific.

We had a wonderful discussion at the end that accentuated the support and
enthusiasm of the 30 or so people who gathered for the 5 P.M. meeting.

PLEASE ATTEND THE FIRST PART OF THE MAY 18 CITY COUNCIL MEETING WHEN THE
HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION WILL BE GIVING ITS ORCHID AWARDS... there
may be an opportunity to encourage the 1912 MHS/Whitworth project again.

Also, Priscilla, thanks for asking.

Linda Pall

At 09:26 PM 5/9/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Any comments from people who attended the Whitworth gathering on Thursday?
>I was out of town and missed it. Would love to hear about the students'
>designs.
>
>--Priscilla Salant

This archive courtesy of:
First Step Internet