Re: Onward Recycling Soldiers

Kurt Rathmann (rath9362@uidaho.edu)
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 08:40:51 -0700

Briana LeClaire wrote:
> RECYCLING, that is: bundling the newspapers and loading them into my
> car and burning the fossil fuels necessary to take them down the the
> recycling center and putting them in the right bin -- THAT is what
> should be cost-effective or else, in my humble opinion, it is a grand
> waste of time. Friends can disagree on this!

Why is it that recycling is expected to 'pay for itself' whereas garbage
disposal is not? If certain commodities collected in this region are
not 'cost effective' to recycle and return to the material economy
without threatening more and more water and land habitat, then you
suggest its a waste...

Consider recycling as simply another means of disposal - one that has
the potential of ameliorating a host of environmental and economic
problems. I agree that our current system of recycling both at a local
and national scale can stand improvement. However, recycling is WAY
more complex than landfilling. Ease up, give it some time, and support
recycling in spite of its faults. The progress of civilization is an
undertaking of biblical proportions.

Kurt Rathmann