Re: e-mail, the Internet, and Vision2020

Luke J. Sheneman (sheneman@netscape.com)
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 11:21:17 -0700

Lou brings up some interesting points, and they are points that many communities
are trying to address across the nation and the world. Interestingly, I
graduated from the University of Idaho in 1995, and moved to San Francisco and
started working as an engineer for Netscape Communications, one of the pioneers
of Web technology.

>From this perspective, I can assure you that the revolution, of which the
internet is a part, is in its infancy. The ubiquity of the Internet will grow.
Bandwidth will grow. Use of wireless communications will dominate. The number
of applications will flourish. Home computers will literally become televisions
and vice/versa. Businesses will start doing more business directly across the
Internet, using new electronic commerce technology...avoiding middle-men and
paperwork. Everything is about to change.

And of course nobody really controls or regulates the Internet. How can they?
The Internet spans the globe. It is anarchy, in the best possible realization.

At Netscape, and most other Silicon Valley companies that I know of, personal
use of the Internet is a given. It is difficult to regulate, hard to enforce,
and silly to even try. The 'Net literally routes around such limitations and
censorship of usage. At Netscape, it would literally be impossible for me to
keep up with what is current in my field if I couldn't browse the web at will.

I sincerely hope that the University Of Idaho and the State of Idaho modernize
(remove) their regulations and allow unfettered use of the Internet to all state
employees. Its the only thing that makes sense in this new world.

And to tie this with the future of Moscow, how does the city plan to bring the
Internet into the schools? Are K-12 schools in Moscow already wired? If so,
how? Are there any programs to provide computers to those that don't have them
for economic or other reasons? Any plans for such a future program? Is the
city library wired yet (its been awhile since I have been to Moscow)? Any plans
for providing free, public terminals for public internet access?

I can assure you that computer/internet illiteracy is already a
disfranchisement. In the San Francisco Bay Area, just being able to speak
intelligently about the net can double your salary. Moscow is in an interesting
position because it is such a small community. Many positive things can be done
now and planned now because of its scale.

-Luke