Re: How Much is Too Much

Joan Berney (JBERNEY@novell.uidaho.edu)
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 08:33:20 PST

Jo,

I couldn't have said this better myself!!!!

Joan B

From: "Jo
Williams" <tajs@potlatch.com> To: "Moscow Vision 2020"
<vision2020@moscow.com> Subject: How Much is Too Much
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 09:21:20 -0700

In a pre-election discussion with candidate Jeff Crouch last year, I
asked him his views on the Dare program. At that time the news media was
reporting that Dare seemed to work in the lower age groups, but became
ineffective on towards junior high age. Spokane had just announced that
they were discontinuing their Dare program (if I remember correctly).
Then-candidate Crouch was aware of the questions surrounding Dare's
effectiveness but indicated a wait-and-see approach. His attitude seemed
to be open to later discussion of the matter. So this Moscow meeting
might also be beneficial to the wider county community also.
There is also an excellent book, "Chocolate to Morphine" (Bookpeople can
order it for you) that presents a very straight forward discussion of
various addictive substances. Along the line of other 'everything you
ever wanted to know' books, it's meant for teen reading and ongoing
reference. As I recall, it's non-preachy, fact oriented; know the facts,
make your own decision. Needless to say, it should be used as a starting
point for parent-teen discussion within each family's religious/moral
rules.
Personally, I think lumping all 'drugs' into one category is a bad idea.
Like it or not, nicotine and alcohol will be legal for these teens in a
few years- unlike pot, cocaine, heroin, etc. Some are more addictive than
others; nicotine being probably the quickest to 'hook' you. Alcohol is
addictive to some but not others. Pot is very similar to nicotine, but
illegal. How can you advise teenagers to look at so many different drugs
with so many physical and legal differences and tell them with a straight
face that they're all evil, instantly addictive, and will ruin your life?
They take one look at the adult community and see the inconsistencies,
the hypocrisy, the lies. No wonder they then ignore everything else we
tell them.
Instead of inviting one more outside organization to set up a revival
tent, why don't the schools/ churches, community organizations set up an
after school program that allows parents a choice. Those who feel 'just
say no' is the answer, can have the 6:30-7:30 slot for presentations from
various organizations. Those who want to expose their kids to another
approach can have the 7:30- 8:30 slot. Let the parents decide on content
of each and maybe encourage all the teens to attend both sessions, just to
hear different sides. (The same could be said for birth control/sex
education issues). The schools and churches should offer more than one
approach to teens; if they don't get real facts from us, they'll get them
'on the playground'- and we all know how reliable those facts are.
Jo Williams tajs@potlatch.com