Re: Investing In Our Children

Linda Pall (lpall@moscow.com)
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 07:28:09 -0700

Dear Tom and Visionaries,

Thanks for the interesting posting about the Rand Corporation's recent study
about the cost effectiveness of early childhood intervention/education/effort.

Targeting the poorest, neediest children at the earliest stages produces
significant benefits for the children and the larger society...well, duh!

Many studies over the years have shown this very same result. I'm sorry it
has to yet be replicated instead of having those funds and efforts directed
toward more children who need caring, nurturing, stimulating environments in
those early years. One thing that is especially important when looking at
"the smalls" is the fact that virtually every parent really wants to do
right by their children. The trick is how to involve those parents, improve
their skills, improve their economic status and provide some moral support
for them.

An interesting synergistic connection between General Powell's "America's
Promise" and these results is the need and opportunity for other caring
adults to make a difference in a child's life...not necessarily your own
child but the kids down the street, the cousins, the daughter of your
co-worker, etc., etc.

I hope we can strengthen that net so that families of all socio-economic
backgrounds can feel safer, more secure and appreciate the great adventure
of rearing the next generation...by all of us.

Thanks, again, Tom, for your thoughtful efforts.

Linda Pall