Re: rumors

Dale Goble (gobled@uidaho.edu)
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 08:51:38 -0700 (PDT)

there is a difference between posting a message that says: "i heard that x
happened. does anyone know if it is true." and posting a message that
says: "why hasn't the newspaper written anything about x?"

the latter is an accusatory and conspiracy-based statement: obviously x
happened and there is a conspiracy to keep it from the public. the nice
thing about conspiracies, of course, is that denials are meaningless.
obviously the chief of the MPD is part of the conspiracy just as is the
editor of the newspaper, etc. etc.

people who choose to post rumors without either identifying the
"information" as rumor or taking even minimal steps to check the veracity
of the "information" posted deserve to be called to task for poisoning the
trust necessary for communication.

dale goble