vision2020@moscow.com: Re: election (fwd)

Re: election (fwd)

Peg (haml8911@uidaho.edu)
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 10:35:27 -0800 (PST)

The following is a response to Steve Cooke's questions regarding my
positions on some pertinent issues in Moscow. He kindly suggested that I
forward these to vision2020 as many may have similar questions for me.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 09:25:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Peg <haml8911@uidaho.edu>
To: Steve Cooke <scooke@novell.uidaho.edu>
Subject: Re: election

Yes, to the first question, I am Peg Hamlett running for city council. Now
to the lenghty list. I will start with a couple of the key issues this
morning and will try to answer the rest later this evening. Not sure about
the land yacht issue!

Swimming pool: I would prefer an indoor pool. Perhaps with a full wall of
sliding glass doors or removable panels which would give natural light and
fresh air with less cost than a retractable roof. I have also heard of the
possibility of two pools together, a family leisure pool and then a lap
pool. If this is not cost prohibitive I think that would be ideal. I think
we should do this pool right and make it something everyone can use city
and *county*, lap swimmers and those who just want to have fun.

Street Calming: I live on 6th Street, that comment alone should give you
my opinion of street calming. I have not explored all the options but I do
believe we should look at ways to slow things down, make the streets
pleasing to drive and safe.

Whitworth Bldg: I love old buildings, and I think it is important to
preserve our history. I am also a tax payer, but I think we should make
every effort that is *affordable* to preserve the Whitworth building.

Billboards: They are getting too big and there are too many! I find them
distracting and spoil the view in many cases. I am not completely opposed
to them, in the right place and few and far between.

Recycling: I think we should all recycle. Bill and I make our weekly trip
to the recycling center, and this time of year a twice weekly trip to the
compost bin. Pet Peeve, people who do not follow the rules and leave
garbage, branches that are too long, and don't put the recycables into the
correct bins.

This is all I have time for now, but I will try to finish the list later.
Thanks for the questions.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peg Hamlett
882-4708 office

\ ! / ~~~ \!/
@~ [[[]]]] --*--
! !! * - !! /!\ / \
/ !! \^/ !! ! /\/\ }
/____!!\___/!!__________\_/ !**!_________/
!!! !!! ~ (_) !__// )
!!! !!! V(__________)
!!! !!! !! !! !!!
!!! !!! !! !! !!!
!!! !!! !! !! !!!

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Steve Cooke wrote:

> Peg,
> Thanks for responding. I assume that you are the Peg Hamlett who is
> running for city council. What are your views on the swimming pool,
> the Whitworth building, impact fees, bill boards, traffic calming,
> land yachts, suburban strawl, malls, bike paths, the linear park, and
> recycling.
> Steve Cooke
>
> Associate Professor
> Dept. of Ag. Economics & Rural Soc.