vision2020@moscow.com: Re: A Street

Re: A Street

Sam M W Scripter (scripter@uidaho.edu)
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 16:16:04 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Jo Williams <tajs@potlatch.com>
To: Moscow Vision 2020 <vision2020@moscow.com>
Date: Thursday, October 23, 1997 2:30 PM
Subject: A Street

>My original email, "Seeing Red", concerning wrong-way bikers was not about
>bike lanes; I have no idea what the rules for them are- but on A street
>and other streets with no bike lanes, bikers are riding in the wrong lane
>of traffic- not on the shoulders, not on the sidewalks. This is a recipe
>for disaster. Jo Williams tajs@potlatch.com

I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Greg Meyer responded to yours, but changed the direction somewhat to bike
lanes and sidewalk riding, I guess.

I agree with you, though, riding in the wrong lane is also insane.

I do like to ride on the highway, though, especially in WA where the
shoulders are very wide, and smooth, and are mostly clearly marked with
white lines.

One of my favorite rides used to be the almost equilateral triangle:
Moscow --Palouse (with breakfast in a "cowboy" bar)-Pullman-Moscow.

But I was not fond of the leg "up" U.S.-95 from Moscow to the Palouse
"cutoff". The "shoulder" is a misnomer. But I was pretty good. I could
ride outside the white line almost all the way.

I'm wondering how the Bill Chipman Trail is going to work out between Moscow
and Pullman. Based on my year in Boise riding the Green Belt and the county
bike/walking/ blading trail to Lucky Peak Reservoir, I expect problems.
Walkers/strollers in two's, three's and more usually spread themselves
across the width of a trail as they enjoy the companionship as well as the
"outing". That pretty well blocks the way for cyclists and bladers, moving
at a somewhat faster speed. We'll all have to be careful and considerate
until we get used to one another.

Sam Scripter

This archive courtesy of:
First Step Internet