Debate and Dialogue

As I slowly recover from a surprise bout of strep throat, I see that the
list is heating up again--and in a rather predictable and discouraging way.
The same accusations, the same rhetorical questions, the verbal flourishing
and philosophical sparring . . . even some paragraphs and posts are being
recycled.

At the risk of seeming really naive, may I suggest that we consider trying
something different?  Could we move away from debate toward dialogue?

The difference between the two has been summarized this way by Daniel
Yankelovitch:

In debate, we assume that there is a right anwer--ours.  In dialogue, we
assume that many people have pieces of the answer and that we can craft a
solution together.

In debate, we are combative; in dialogue, we are collaborative.

In debate, we listen to find flaws and weaknesses; in dialogue we listen to
understand, to find meaning and potential agreement.

In debate, we defend our own views against others'; in dialogue, we see that
others have ideas that can improve our own.

In debate, we search for flaws in others' positions; in dialogue, we search
for strengths and value in others' positions.

Dialogue is also different from discussion, in that it requires that
participants meet each other as equals, in the absence of coercive
influences, that we listen to one another with unreserved empathy, and we
bring assumptions into the open--our own and each others'.

So let me begin by saying that like Doug Jones, I value honesty in public
associations and groups, and in individuals.  Can you help me understand,
Doug, why the Moscow Civic Association has raised your hackles--to the
extent that you would compare it to a Nazi organization in 1936?  You
mentioned (or maybe it was Doug Wilson) that non-egalitarian organizations
such as your church often suffer when progressive movements gain power.  Is
that a potential concern?  My assumption is that there are enough shared
community concerns among even such divergent organizations that we might
find common ground, and room to differ, without substantially harming each
other.  Is that an assumption we share?

Casting my bread on the waters,

Melynda Huskey

"The things that make us happy make us wise."  John Crowley