NostroDante speaks

Hey folks.  I hope it’s not gauche to summon again the spirits of dead Vision feuds.  Maybe the Muscovites for Equal Rights are still chilling in the wings—they at least ought to appreciate this.  In any case I can’t resist a little necromancy, as I came upon a dandy bit in Dante this evening that I thought I might as well share with you all.  It’s from Purgatorio, Canto XXIII, and when I read it I can’t help but think of this past summer:

Brother of mine, what wilt thou have me say?

This hour shall not be very old perhaps

Ere time shall bring what I foresee to-day:

A pulpit interdict, no less, which claps

Down on our brazen jades of Florentines

Flaunting unveiled the bosom and the paps.

What female Turk or Berber e’er showed signs

Of needing to be covered up by force

Of spiritual or other disciplines?

But could these wantons know what Heaven’s swift course

Prepare for them, they’d have their mouths ajar

Already, fit to bellow themselves hoarse.

Cheers,

Prester John

Back to TOC