Unidentified subject!

The good news is for anyone tired of a debate is that that the Idaho Department of Juvenile Corrections has already adopted a paradigm of restorative justice. Other agencies (public and private have either followed or are moving in this direction). Now comes the process of community education and awareness and implementing the programs in our communties. Healing the harm of crime requires a strong commitment from community and state alike. We are very fortunate in Idaho to be lead by those whose vision results in practical implementation of healing our communities.

I want to address a couple of frequent questions/comments that have come in over the last 24 hours.

1. There will be a series of community education/awareness programs (including video nights) beginning in the near future. It is probably safe to say we will tell the community when the dates are set.

2. The next facilitator training will likely be in January (ask me again after Tuesday). By the end of the week (or so) we'll be accepting advance reservations.

I want to thank those that have answered our questions for their honesty and at times humor. We've received more comments than we anticipated and appreciate the diversity of the answers. Interestingly enough I received a message a few minutes ago that kind of turned the tables on this dialogue. The author asked if I can see an elephant around Moscow/ Latah County and if so what does he look like? Truthfully I need a little time to think about that one.

I have one final question that might help me understand the different perspectives of the community. Ever since we arrived here 18 months ago there we have been overcome by a sense of acceptance, one that goes beyond tolerance, perhaps to love. This has been a new feeling for us and at times overwhelming. My question is this. What values do the people of this area share which allow them to create such a strong sense of welcoming/love? Have other newcomers experienced this level of warmth?

Thanks

Tony

GIF image

Back to TOC