Re: Unidentified subject! [resorative justice, I think]

Robert is correct in that restorative justice is complex. He suggests it must be handled in an "intense" way. To a degree I suppose that is true, especially in terms of passion and compassion with the victims and offenders. Across New Zealand, where Restorative Justice is the first option in dealing with all youth crime (other than murder) they are finding great success. I should note that they do use the process with murder, but it is admittedly not the first option. Across New Zealand prison populations are going down and some juvenile facilities are closing altogether. In Canada and communities across the US where restorative justice is winning increasing support they are likewise seeing a decrease in the numbers incarcerated. Throwing endless billions of dollars into the prison industry has proven not to produce the results that society had hoped for. It is time to make a new investment: one which is centered around healing the harm of crime and conflict with a balanced focus on victims and offenders.

Tony

-------Original Message-------

Date: Friday, October 25, 2002 18:31:20
Subject: Re: Unidentified subject! [resorative justice, I think]

Tony Brown's contribution of a case study of restorative justice is
interesting and seems to give a picture of a successful case study of an
alternative justice outcome. But my gosh, it's so involved!! Each case must
nneds be complex and has to be handled in such an intensive way. Is this a
viable solution for 'justice' in general? I am slightly doubtful about this
system as a workable solution all-around.

And I am really having trouble imagining how such an approach would work
with the DC snipers, for example. Do we just give them a few million hours
of community service, with appologies to the families of the decedants?
Perhaps all I lack is imagination here. Suggestions?

Bob Dickow