Re: restorative justice

Thank you, there are two threads (Sniper and Paint Ball) right now and I will drop out of the sniper discussion--good night, Tony

-------Original Message-------

Date: Thursday, October 24, 2002 20:58:24
Subject: restorative justice

Hello People,

I grew up a five minute walk from where three Montgomery Co. Md. shootings
occured, a five minute drive from others, and spent a few years ten minutes away
from Ashland, VA. My father and his wife still live in that house I grew up in,
and my brother, his wife and two kids live in the immediate approximate area of
Monkey County. I am as happy as anyone to hear that two suspects are being held
in custody along with a quite literal smoking gun.

I read these postings this afternoon in the name of "restorative justice." I must
pause. Before justice can be restored, can't we let it exist in the first place?
The postings seem to imply foregone guilt, a concept anathematic to our current
system of domestic justice. Isn't this indicative of the same zealotry we decry
on a global scale? Aren't we presumed innocent at first, at least in most cases?

To my knowledge, no capital charges have been forthcoming. Both are currently
held on relatively minor charges. Yet the dialog here appears to assume otherwise
at best. If they are not guilty, exonerate them. In the meantime, allow a
sufficiently strong case to be presented in case they are not, so that justice
may be served prior to the necessity of restoration. I doubt they will be going
anywhere soon. Can we let the developments run their course before we stack the
wood and plant the stake? Otherwise, we may stand morally bereft.

Warren Hayman

http://www.fsr.net/

.

GIF image