Re: What RJ Might Look Like

Mr. Brown -

I learned from CNN this morning that one of the arrested alleged snipers in
Maryland is a minor (17 years old).

Realizing that restorative justice does not support trying minors as adults,
how would you suggest that the court system handle this individual?  And how
would you justify your decision to family and loved ones of the victims?

I realize that parents must assume responsiblity for raising their children and
not simply blame the "system" when little Johnny or Mary end up in jail.  I was
born and raised in Los Angeles.  How would you suggest handling inner-city
youth that (in so many cases) have no other option (due to lack of any other
support mechanism), but to join gangs (Crips and Bloods) and commit violent
crimes?

Patiently awaiting your response.

Just another Angelino who attended public schools,

Tom Hansen

           http://www.fsr.net/

Back to TOC