Community of Moscow

Good morning-- I want to offer my sincerest and warmest thanks to members of this community who have shared their thoughts; hopes, fears and vision for justice that restores in Moscow and beyond. Comments and questions have ranged for suggestions on community meetings and developing community ownership of restorative justice; to suggestions for things some would like to see us publish on the web to help solving a technical problem with our home page (which I forwarded to our webmaster because I am pretty helpless in that arena).

Restorative justice is based upon a core set of principles and values which are clearly enhanced, perhaps dependent upon a strong sense of community. Idaho's reputation is one of tough on crime. Perhaps this is accurate, but  it feels as though there is also a very strong sense of community. From my earliest days living on the Palouse people have said that if restorative justice is going to win deep appeal anywhere in Idaho than Moscow and Latah County are likely to be where it happen. Our experience talking with community members is that there is what might be called wide interest (it sounds appealing, but people still have lots of questions). It is our hope that over the next period of time we can come build upon the wide appeal and develop what might be labeled a deep appeal where members of the community are actively participating in healing the harm of crime and conflict.

There is often a perception that justice (or injustice) only directly involves victims, offenders and those whose livelihoods are dependent on enforcing laws. One look at the state budget shows one clear and profound way where every taxpayer is deeply effected by corrections. One advocate of restorative justice has talked in depth regarding the amount of money we spend locking people up each year. He suggests for the same amount of money we could be sending students to some very high quality colleges. Ultimately it will come down to the average person living within our community. Do we (you) want to invest in education and a future of unlimited hope, or do we want to continue feeding untold billions into a system which breeds bitterness for victims and offenders?

Now I would like to address some of the direct comments and suggestions. Some asked if we could/ would be willing to create a survey or questionnaire (similar to what is now on-line) but specific to this area. The answer is yes, but we want to make sure the right questions are being asked. Right now there we lack a consensus over what we might want to measure, so the dialogue likely needs to continue for at least a while longer. Which means it is important for people to continue sharing what is important and more about your vision of what restorative justice means to you. One of the hot buzzwords in the wider restorative justice community is inclusion. We want to see restorative justice be shaped in a way where people of all age, gender, race, religion, educational and professional background, economic status are heard not only included in the process, but are empowered to make restorative justice work in their community.

All of which brings me back to the question of community. There is no one right answer to what is community. A community can be a city, county, state, neighborhood, school district or individual school, an ethnic community, a religious community, etc.... The important thing is to respect the diversity and find a way to empower all the voices in a community.

It is important for restorative justice to build from a ground level and become a proactive process which works to heal before a situation gets out of hand. Research has suggested that,. for various reasons, only 40% of all crime are reported to the legal authorities. People are making a choice not to involve the police in certain conflicts. However, rather than engaging in a healing process they are allowing incidents to build. Often they simmer to the point that by the time the police become involved the last thing on anyone's mind is healing. What does this mean to the average community member? The paradigm shift of restorative justice begins with you. Each of us needs to make a conscience choice in how we respond to crime or conflict. It simply is not realistic to expect the police, courts, and politicians to transform all of their beliefs while the community continues to view justice in a retributive paradigm. Our society has fallen into a way of thinking where we expect the state to solve most of our problems for us (some called this our real 911 crisis). It is said that conflict is a gift from God and we should embrace every chance which presents itself for our community to grow.

Now back to the practical questions which have been asked. Yes we are willing to meet with large or small groups in the community to do education programs, or we can meet individually if that works better for you. We have videos, books, and other resources to share.
One suggestion has been that we might bring together a community round table to talk about how we should proceed. Another suggestion  has been for a Community task force (which could come from  a round table). Either one or both suggestions are appealing, but it feels like we need to allow more dialogue before taking that next step.

I look forward to continued dialogue with those who have contacted us and welcome comments from those pondering where all of this is leading. I can be reached at this email or (208) 882-5416.

Tony

GIF image

Back to TOC