Re: Fire Station 3

In a message dated 9/30/02 7:24:44 AM, n-k-ins@moscow.com writes:

<< I suspect that if we

had information from other communities in the Northwest that have built fire

stations we would see that we are getting our monies worth. Any comparison

with Sixth Street Station has limited value because the total cost estimate

for the fire station includes all the equipment needed to operate a fire

station. Apples and oranges. >>

OK Jon, how about three other crates of Idaho apples? The folowing data comes
directly from the fire departments in two cases and from a financing agency
for the third.  I am quoting total project costs as building only costs can
be defined differently thus skewing the results.

In the past couple of years the City of Coeur d'Alene built a 7,400 sq. ft.
station for four engines for a total project cost of $1.2 million or $162 per
sq. ft.

The City of Boise built a 8,400 sq. ft. station, again for four engines, for
a total project cost of $1.2 million or $143 per sq. ft. including all eq
uipment except the trucks. I was told they are using this as a basis to
budget for their next station.

The City of Archer, Idaho built a 4, 092 sq. ft. station for a total project
cost of $566,756 or $139 per sq. ft.

Moscow's station is 11,000 sq. feet for $2.5 million or $227 per sq. ft.

Why do Moscow's apples cost so much?

Walter Steed

Back to TOC