RE: DISCUSSION/Iraq and domestic protest

Dale wrote:
>>  i.e., "My reason is my ultimate authority because it seems
>> reasonable to me to make it so." Nice circular argument.

Tony replied:
> All arguments are circular unless referenced to an ultimate
> authority.

I think you mean to say that all arguments for an absolute authority
must ultimately appeal to that authority for proof: otherwise the
authority would not be an absolute or highest authority.

> If, however, the existence of the ultimate
> authority must be accepted on faith, e.g. subjective belief,
> we are back to chasing our tales.

Everyone either implicitly or explicitly uses some kind of circular
argument when defending his or her ultimate authority for belief.

> There is a chance in a
> reasoned debate that we would realize that we are no closer
> to catching our tales than when we started.  I don't think
> that chance exists in a faith based argument.

But the point is: *every* argument for ultimate authority is a
faith-based argument.

Dale Courtney
Moscow, Idaho

Back to TOC