Advice From Provo, Utah

Friends:

Here is a response we received from the City of Provo, Utah, regarding ways we might cut the budget here in Latah County.

"We tried several things to balance the General Fund for the current
fiscal year, and there are still more things which could be done. The
first area we looked at was revenues. Provo is fortunate to have
enterprise funds which make money, rather than receiving a subsidy. As a result we have now started charging an administrative charge to those funds from the General Fund for the support services they use from finance, personnel, legal and other support departments. The Engineering dept is now charging those same enterprise funds for any survey work, and B & C road projects for the work which they do.

We then looked at expenditures and found 29 positions which could be
deleted. Only two people actually had to be let go as a result.
Retirements, not filling open positions, and finding other jobs for
impacted employees saved aprox $400k. The Personnel dept reviewed the
benefits package is will be making some adjustments there, and by
passing on a small portion of the increased cost of insurance. We did
not allow any inflation factor for operations this year, and did not
allow for any purchase orders to be rolled over into the new year
without special permission from the mayors office.

These steps and others caused some pain but resulted in a balanced
budget. We may still have to make more adjustments if some of our key
revenues such as sales tax do not come in as forecasted.

Good luck and let me know if we can provide any additional support."

Dave Croff
Budget Officer
>>> "Douglas Stambler" <stamblerdouglas@hotmail.com> 10/02/02 02:33PM

Watch a championship game with Elway or McGwire.
Enter Now at http://champions.lycos.com

Back to TOC