Re: Moscow 2002-13: A Parent's Concerns / Questions

In a message dated 8/16/02 9:09:27 PM, sslund@moscow.com writes:

<< How would the officer determine that there was, in fact, a violation
without determining where the top of the areola is on a specific
individual? >>

1.  Assuming your above scenario would happen, I don't see the difference in
the  problem between "minor daughters" and older, mature women.

2.  I thought the ordinance as adopted didn't relate to the areola anymore
but to what part of the postpubesent breast was exposed, which
should/could/would be the same regardless of whether the female in question
is 15 or 45.

3.  <<whether a female child is subject to this ordinance depends on whether
or not she's begun menstruating.>>  Not as I understand it.  The
determination of ordinance applicability, I believe, is "pubescent" which my
dictionary defines as. "arriving at puberty" which is further defined as
"when secondary sex characteristics develop," I presume that would be
actually having breasts.

4.  I would suggest all your "significant number of parents" who have
concerns attend the next council meeting, fill the room and ask your
questions of the council.  Perhaps bringing daughters in the outfits you
think would cause such inspections would help make your point.

5.  <<Even if one doesn't care about the needless potential harm that could
be done to our daughters, then one should care about this issue>> Do you
really believe the police, regardless of the ordinance, are going to ticket
anyone who is not almost or totally topless?  Officers, in their discretion,
rarely write speed limit violation tickets until a car is several mph over a
posted limit.

Walter Steed

Back to TOC