What Noble Confederacy?

Dear Visionaries,

Just a quick note from a busy pants liberal (thanks for the laugh Doug) to
ask for further explanation of the"noble Confederacy."  I didn't flunk any of
my graduate level courses in American History, and I am confident that my
professors were not incompetent ninnies.  (After all, they taught at the same
government school you attended, Doug.) To my recollection, the words "noble"
and "Confederacy" were never found in conjunction, except from unrepentant,
bitter, broke, former slave owners.

But I almost forgot, Doug et al., you hold that the institution of slavery is
ordained by God, don't you?  And if slavery is practiced by Christian slave
owners, it is a perfectly correct lifestyle, right?  In fact, Doug, didn't
you write a booklet on the topic which defends and supports slavery as
God-inspired and perfectly in accordance with good Christian doctrine?  If
memory serves me, you actually chide Evangelical Christians who back-peddle
on the godliness of slave owning.  (Readers can find this little gem on
Amazon.com.  It's entitled "Southern Slavery As It Was," co-authored by
Douglas Wilson and Steve Wilkins, and is available now at the low, low price
of $3.50.)

Doug, I would appreciate it if you explained to Vision 20/20 readers your
position on slavery and slave holding.  That way when race and issues of
human rights are discussed, we will have a better grasp of your positions.  I
understand that your employees and congregational members may also wish to
weigh in on the topic, but I would ask that they refrain, until you post.
You see, it seems to me that far too often you lead from behind, letting your
disciples take the hits for you.  (Not that they appear to be in the least
unwilling.  I remember clearly a community meeting several years ago when you
were asked if stoning was a suitable penalty for gay or lesbian people: you
sat back smugly and let Greg Dickison be your fall guy.  Not very noble-
quite unlike those splendid Confederates whose cause you are so quick to
defend-but in a fallen world, that's just human nature, I guess.)

In my "simplistically relativist" world some things are always wrong: owning
another human being; the death penalty; war; and citing scripture to justify
the subjugation of women and children.  In my world (which wasn't created in
seven days) and my universe (which isn't terra-centric) respect is earned,
not demanded.  But then, silly liberal that I am, I find the most compelling
scriptural verse to be:  "The King will answer them. Truly I say to you as
you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me."
Matthew 25:40.
Best,
Rose Huskey

Back to TOC