Douglas, It's Simple, Really!

Douglas et. al.

My point is simple.  I am merely saying you cannot prove your absolutes are
any more absolute than other contradictory absolutes, and therefore your
belief in your absolutes is a matter of faith.  You are subject to the
objection that your values are relative when they are compared with
competing differing value systems which also claim they are absolute.  You
are subject to the same logical difficulties in proving your values are true
and correct and absolute relative to other differing absolute value systems,
as anyone is who claims they have absolute ethical values.

I agree there are serious difficulties in claiming that there are no
absolute values of right and wrong.  But your conclusion that if we admit
these difficulties we should all just run amok with a who cares attitude
seems hysterical!  Again my point is simple.  For example, I enjoy and like
other human beings.  Why should I then want to harm them and not use my
basic human feelings of empathy and compassion as a guide to being gentle
and supportive of my fellow human companions?  This is not propaganda, it is
something everyone who knows friendship understands.  The issue of whether
or not there are ultimate ethical absolutes revealed by a Supreme Being, or
proven like a mathematical equation, does not have to be definitely answered
to understand and value friendship, or the love between mother and child, or
the heroics of someone who saves a life, or the beauty and passion between
lovers, or the delight of a beautiful sunset, to list a few of life's
rewards.  If you do not in at least some small way understand (even if you
disagree) what I am saying we must be living in different universes!

I think we are at an impasse in this exchange.

Have a great weekend!

Ted